Piratevilletown

Philosophical Pirate Chat. No Questions.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Alright, Poem Time:

The Dope
I wait for a train
that runs on time.
It feeds the pain
that builds inside.

I need something
to be my guide.
Just tie this rope,
so I stop and choke.

It's that fucker, Hope,
that causes my dismay.
I wish he'd stop parading
on my rainy fucking day.

-by Pirate Jimmy


I actually wrote this in January of this year, but decided to wait until now to post it. I'm really proud of the rhyme scheme, which a 3-line pattern, different from the 4-line flow of the poem. Hopefully it gives you, the reader, an uneasy feeling, and makes it seem something is out of alignment somehow; it should make you uncomfortable. And mostly I'm proud of the last 4 lines, how they play on the phrase "stop trying to rain on my parade."

4 Comments:

  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    rhyme scheme:
    aba
    cdc
    efe
    ghg

    written another way:
    abac
    dcef
    eghg

     
  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger Chaka said…

    Ok, I would have saved five minutes of scribbling if I just looked here first.

    The inversion of hope reminds me of one of my favorite books of all time: The Homeward Bounders by Diane Duane (not the dogs and cat thing, that's Homeward Bound).

    Have you ever read it?

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    Nope, I have not. I trust that since you're a linguist and it's a favourite of yours, that it's good?

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger Chaka said…

    It's a young-adult book, so it's plot is not exactly Les Miserables, but it's a great read. Hope is symbolized in the book by anchors, and they mostly have negative significance for the main characters. I think the ambiguity of the symbol is great--they tie you down, which could be good or bad.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home