Piratevilletown

Philosophical Pirate Chat. No Questions.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Questions

If you were God, why would you ever put down your laws in the form of text. Why would you create a book in a language that most people don't read, in a context that no one today can fully understand. If you wanted to give people any shot at all, why the fuck would you do that. Nobody has it entirely correct, and if there's only one fucking path, everybody is pretty much fucked.

How can you prove the accuracy of the Bible? How can you prove that those little sayings like "apple of my eye" aren't the only things that were recorded wrong. How can you prove that what we interpret is the right interpretation?

Why is there a Hell? Why are there people out there who don't stand a chance? Is it possible that Hell is a human construction meant to scare people into acting accordingly? Assuming Hell is a fallacy, can't we still believe in doing the right thing?

Why create a system based on faith when there are already other systems also based on faith. Both sides have equal reliance on faith, why can some people believe so fully in the wrong side? Are you on the wrong side? Justifying one side over the other based upon faith is not a justification, it's an arbitrary assignment of loyalty towards one side of an impasse.

Why should I believe in something that I have not personally felt an urge or passion to believe in. How can I put my faith in the fact that others are so moved, and why the fuck does nothing in this world move me. Riddle me that.

9 Comments:

  • At 7:39 AM, Blogger Chaka said…

    Those are some big riddles.

    It sounds like these questions are coming from somewhere--you sound frustrated with people who have all the "right interpretations." Even more so with the fact that nothing moves you.

    Could you say more about this? It's always seemed to me that you are moved by things--movies, books. Maybe you mean moved in a different way.

     
  • At 8:01 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    I get frustrated when the bible seems to be deified by some denominations. I'm actually frustrated with the idea of "denominations."

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger Chaka said…

    Yeah, denominations. I'm kind of without one right now, even though I'm fine with any number of them. (I am a member of a Vineyard church, but I would have no problem with being Baptist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Pentecostal, Anglican, or Methodist, to name a few). The fact of denominations doesn't bother me as much as it used to, since they kind of go hand in hand with being a part of a local church.

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger Chaka said…

    As for the deity of the Bible, I certainly don't want to put anything above God, so in that sense, it's not deified. But I do believe that it's God's word and is trustworthy. I can't prove it, (if by prove you mean convince every reasonable person), but I can argue for it (in the healthy, dialogical sense of argue).

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    I'm not concerned with how trustworthy the entirety of it is. I am concerned with picking the bones instead of concerning ourselves with the prime cuts of meat in the Bible. I don't believe it was made to deceive, but I do believe humans too often deceive ourselves with it.

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    And because of that, I believe it was a dumb idea to use human communication to transfer a metaphysically important truth.

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger Chaka said…

    I'm really curious what prompted this--what sort of picking at bones you have in mind. I could play Bible's advocate in the abstract or affirm what you're saying in the abstract, but it sounds like there's a concrete example you're thinking of.

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    For a small example, back in the day of IVCF, I remember attending bible studies where we'd look at a page of text (not a Bible page, but a printout-sized page, which does not typically contain an entire Bible page I believe), and instead of looking at the chapter as a whole, we'd find little insignificant details that don't matter at all, and that's what we'd concentrate on.

     
  • At 2:06 AM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    fuck it

     

Post a Comment

<< Home