Piratevilletown

Philosophical Pirate Chat. No Questions.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

More Songs

I've got a few songs that keep popping in my head. Take a listen, seriously. Give them a shot. If you don't, I'll make you watch X3 before you die.

For the myspace audio players, simply click on the title of the song you'd like to hear (i.e. the song I tell you to listen to) in the playlist on the right side of the website.

I give you 5 days to listen to these 5 songs.

Hurt - Rapture
(lyrics)
(audio)
(Hurt's myspace audio player)

Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor
(lyrics)
(video)
(AM's myspace audio player)

WOLFMOTHER - Woman
(lyrics)
(Wolfmother's myspace audio player)

the Von Bondies - C'mon C'mon
(lyrics)
(VB's myspace audio player)

Hinder - Get Stoned
(lyrics)
(Hinder's myspace audio player)

I'm liking the format of this post, so maybe in a week I'll do a post of local bands with good songs perhaps...

9 Comments:

  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    You should also comment on which songs you enjoy and/or how much my taste in music sucks. It's the right thing to do.

     
  • At 6:31 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    My favorite one of those is Hurt - Rapture, followed by Wolfmother - Woman.

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger Chaka said…

    Shoot! Only three days to go and I haven't touched any of them. And the library's already closed!

    (No internet connection in the apartment. Yet.)

     
  • At 5:46 PM, Blogger PopStar said…

    It’s ok to be impressed by me, most girls are

     
  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger Chaka said…

    Ok, I listened to them all. Sometimes I care a little too much about the story the song is telling, so I'm a little frustrated by Rapture. Does the girlfriend become a Christian and kill the baby? I don't speak Rock Lyrics.

    I enjoy the Wolfmother, though. I should buy an album for my mom--a little tribute.

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    Yeah, with rapture I'm not exactly sure what's going on. I like it because music is all about tension and release, and those guys nail that in the song.

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    I'm really proud of you for getting it done, btw! :-D

     
  • At 5:07 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    I decided to actually look closely at the lyrics for Rapture, which I admit I didn't really do earlier.

    The narrator fell in love, had a child, but they couldn't stay together. He's willing to keep going through with it even though he knows it'll be a life full of suffering, but she can't keep going with this mistaken love. He's begging her to come back to him, even though they'll both suffer, I'd say he thinks it's worth it. She, however, thinks that since it was a relationship built on a sin they shouldn't be together. He doesn't care, he'd burn in Hell for her. The recurring theme "Til your rapture falls to pieces" I believe is suggesting that the end is here, and her chance of rapture is falling to pieces despite that she thinks she's doing right. She kills the baby because it reminds her of the narrator and because she mistakenly thinks it's the right thing to do; he is horrified. I think this song is kinda cursing the girl the whole way through.

    That's just a quick interpretation, the big reason I like the song is because of how it is structured musically. Think of the words more abstractly and not in the context of the story. Look at the vocals as a mere instrument and the song is more enjoyable, hehe.

     
  • At 8:04 PM, Blogger Chaka said…

    I think your analysis is probably right, Brandon. I did enjoy the song--like I said, sometimes I get distracted by content.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home