Piratevilletown

Philosophical Pirate Chat. No Questions.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Kingdom of Heaven

So... I just got done watching my newest DVD: Kingdom of Heaven. I'm a fan of the movie because I find the time period really fascinating. So I decided to make this post a menage a trois of insight. I'm going to list my favorite time periods, my favorite Henry V quote, and my favorite John Stuart Mill quote. These things come to mind because I just got done watching a war movie with some intense combat sequences and the such.
A) Favorite Time Periods to Study:
-> Late 1700's, Early 1800's (Napoleonic Wars, War of 1812, Seven Years War, etc)
-> Crusades / Hundred Years war (1200's - 1400's)
-> Vietnam Conflict (1965-1975)
-> Viking Expansion
-> Any time that has Pirates.

B) Favorite Quote from Shakespeare's Henry V:
"And gentlemen in England now abed
Shall find themselves accursed they were not here
And hold their manhood cheap, whilst any speaks
That fought with us, upon Saint Crispin's Day"


C) Favorite John Stuart Mill Quote:
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war, is much worse."
...
"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

5 Comments:

  • At 2:39 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    Actually, I just wanted to say menage a trois.

     
  • At 2:39 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    *giggle*

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger Chaka said…

    I enjoyed parts of Kingdom of Heaven, particularly Edward Norton's performance. (Edward Norton was in this movie, you ask? Check the credits). I gagged a little on the Hollywood Mandated bits, you know, the local priest is a grave robber and delights in rubbing in the whole eternal-damnation-on account of suicide bit; male and female lead must have sex within first hour of meeting each other (religion and politics be damned! Or not even considered!); the bishop turns out to have no real commitment to his religion and is a coward and a hypocrite ("Convert now, repent later."); the hero is a blacksmith, hence a proto-engineer. After all that, I don't know why I was surprised they had the Queen of Whatnot go back to France--they couldn't resist any of the cliches.

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger Chaka said…

    Despite all that, I did enjoy the movie for the same reason you did, Brandon. The time period is great, and a lot of the acting was good. David Thewlis, Jeremy Irons, and Brendan Gleeson stand out.

    I did a little reading about Saladin's campaign against Jerusalem after I watched the movie. Apparently, he really didn't kill everybody when he took over.

    He did sell them into slavery.

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    OWNZED!

    Yeah, I was even able to forget the fact that Orlando Bloom is a big pussy. I think it was because he didn't use a bow, and he took Liam Neeson's advice and used the high guard, which is manly.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home