Piratevilletown

Philosophical Pirate Chat. No Questions.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Talk Like a Pirate Day Everyday!

Now, if you check out my links on the messed up sidebar to the right, you'll see a website for Talk Like a Pirate Day. I am an advocate of celebrating this day, but I also believe that there are a few phrases that can be used everyday. Here is a short list of a few phrases that deserve common useage.

"Yar!" - This is quite possibly the second most versatile word in the world. You can use it as a greeting, a cheer, a warcry, a sorrow-filled groan, a display of dissatisfaction, etc. Basically, it's all about intonation and expression. Be creative, mix things up, add a freakin' yar! to your day!

"Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!" - Mostly used as a cheer, encouragement, or self-promoting gloat. I prefer to use it as a self-promoting gloat, but to each his own.

"Yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!" - expresses content at the current state of affairs in life.

"Blow the man down!" - directly translates to "Put a cap in that mofo!"

"Unfurl the sails!" - can be used as an expression of forward progress, or an encouragement to move faster.


This is by no means a complete list, but I believe these phrases should be used in any colloquial conversation where they may apply.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger My Daily Struggles said…

    I'm one of the survivors on Oceanic flight 815. We need help really bad. Call the FAA.

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    I never got into "Lost" the tv show. Personally, I prefer the show 24.

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Blogger PopStar said…

    yar !
    yar !
    yar !

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger Chaka said…

    What about the classic pirate oaths, such as "Shiver me timbers!" and "Hells bells!"?

     
  • At 10:30 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    Yes, those are good ones as well, along with "Avast!" and "matey"!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home