Piratevilletown

Philosophical Pirate Chat. No Questions.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

It is the journey...

I love intellectual journeys, so check this out. I've been reading a book, called Napoleon and Wellington, and it briefly mentions the Prussian field marshall Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher. Being of German (along with scandinavian and dutch) descent, I enjoy reading about germanic history. Feeling that I've neglected german art recently I went to my go-to source for art, where I searched for german-looking names. One of the artists whose works I enjoyed was Durer, and specifically the Knight, Death and Devil engraving stuck out because I remembered it from one of my Art History classes. That was a few days ago, and just earlier tonight I decided to look for interpretations of this work on the internet. One interpretation mentioned Gnostic symbols found in the painting, so of course I wikipedia-ed Gnostic, which is a very intruiging religion-esque view, though its followers are particularly un-categorical. After reading a little bit about it and not understanding anything, I looked at the interpretation of another Durer piece called St. Jerome in His Study. This mentioned a famouse pumpkin from the renassaince, which led me to looking at Donatello's statue Habbakuk, which was the supposed reference in the engraving. I googled Habbakuk and pumpkin to get a piece by a writer named Chesterton about the flaws of modern Materialistic arguments against the possibility of miracles. I suggest to go to that link and at least peruse this essay. Eventually I returned to Gnosticism and found a list of a few 19th centure Gnostics and recognized the name Schopenhauer, so I wikipedia'ed him and found another intruiging view of the world. He criticized Kant's views, some of whose works I read in one of my philosophy classes. The mention of his critiques of Kantian philosophy reminded me of another german philosopher I looked up a while ago for obvious reasons, named Johann Georg Hamann, who was extremely anti-enlightenment. Anyway, all of these ideas are bouncing in my head and it just feels great, and confusing, especially since I don't see a lot of ideas that aren't entirely about western liberalism.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    just a note, Napoleon and Wellington is by Andrew Roberts, and it nicely clashes with Victor Hugo's Vive l'Emperor attitude, which I just read a couple months back in Les Miserables.

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger Chaka said…

    I'm sure wikipedia mentioned that gnostics were once thought to be the opponents that every New Testament letter was written to oppose. They probably weren't very significant during the time of the New Testament, however. They made it big time in the second and third centuries, royally annoying church fathers such as Irenaeus. They are responsible for most of the pseudonymic "lost" books of Christianity (Gospel of Thomas, Judas, etc) that were "put down" by the orthodox.

     
  • At 12:26 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    What do you think about the Eastern Orthodox Church?

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i used to be a journeyman

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Blogger Chaka said…

    I would have to write my own post to deal with the eastern orthodox church. Suffice it to say that I have been growing in appreciation for the church for a long time. The church has been receiving several prominent converts/admirers from protestantism (Jaroslav Pelikan, Robert Webber), so I've heard a lot of pros/cons lists. This post is already too long, but I'll just say that I dig the continuity with the early church and agree with them about the pope (why should we all submit to the bishop of Rome?).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home