Piratevilletown

Philosophical Pirate Chat. No Questions.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Perum Pum Pum Pum

So I was having a pipe earlier in the evening and it dawned upon me: I am Hermes. No, I'm not adolescent god who delivers messages. Hermes, above all, was what I would call the god of borders. His turf was the middle-ground, between this and that. He was the only god (save the goddess Persephone, upon whom was a curse) who could cross between Mount Olympus and the realm of Hades. He was also the god of puberty, i.e. the border between boyhood and manhood. He was the one who could cross from any realm to any other realm, yet did not quite belong in any one particular realm. And since he was the one who could cross anywhere and visit any realm, he was also the one who handled cross-realm communication. He could go into any territory, and thus unfortunately he became the errand boy. I, though not a god, and also no one's errand boy, am a man who occupies borders. In my introspective meanderings I realized that, almost above all, I strive mostly to be un-categorical. I've been confused mostly because I always figured I was non-conformist, but that is not true. I, of course, conform all the time, and although I spout anti-conformist rants, I am in favor of conformity in many forms. It's not that I don't want to conform, it's that I don't want to be pigeon-holed into any single identity. I'm not anti-categorization, either, as I do it all the time myself. Categorizing is one of the most human things a person can do. I simply don't want to be categorized myself. I strive to posess the borders, and thus I don't quite fit into any territory. Or so my port and pipe would lead me to believe. Why the introspective thinking? Well, that's what I do. That and I just finished an amazing book: "Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K. Dick, which questions the very essence of humanity in a way no other book can. Blade Runner is losely based on the story, but really the movie is in no way comparable to the actual book, which is a very short, enjoyable read (in other words: read it!). So yes, I am Hermes, but don't categorize me as that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home