Piratevilletown

Philosophical Pirate Chat. No Questions.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Multiple Subject Post

I saw Miami Vice; it rocked me.

The reasons I like some metal bands, the reasons I like some very spiteful and hate filled music, the reasons I don't like christian music, the reasons I like rock, all are confusing.

In the search for what makes me do what I do, and think what I think, I've come to discover I am a man of hidden reasoning in search for my center of gravity. When I started growing out my hair, I always thought it was a funny question for people to ask "Why are you growing out your hair? When will you get it cut?" I don't know why I grew it out, it seemed like a good idea. Is there any other reason to do something? I threw out any number of reasons, entirely to shut people up and keep them guessing. I'm growing it until the Gopher Hockey team loses two games in a row. I'm growing it to commemorate Kurt Cobain. I'm growing it to infiltrate hippie culture and subvert it from the inside. I'm growing it until people stop telling me to get a hair cut. I'm growing it so I look older. None of those reasons are right, but none are wrong, and still all are wrong.

Life experience does not necessarily mean wisdom gained, if you haven't figured that out you need to start learning from your own experiences.

I like hateful music because I am capable of experiencing empathy. I'd suggest that no one reading this post has truly hit rock bottom in life. What does that feel like? Well chances are it feels like: "emptiness is loneliness and loneliness is cleanliness and cleanliness is godliness, and God is empty just like me" (Smashing Pumpkins Zero). Remember the simple fact that everyone is in the same boat. We are all humans trying to live life as best as we can, as best as we know how, with all our might.

Everyone is subjected to the human condition, even the people who are fueled only by remorse and hate. Does that mean you should follow their footsteps? No, everyone makes their own choices. Think for yourself, make your own choice. But don't spit on someone for choosing poorly, especially since we all choose poorly. Feel some pity for the poor bastards who don't know any better. You are not any better than someone else because you make less poor choices than they do. You are not better because you aren't sad, aren't pitiful, are rich, are righteous. You, too, are the scum of the Earth.

Here is a question for you. Why do you wake up in the morning? What gets you out of bed. What is so pressing that you subject yourself to the daily toils of living as a human being. What makes life worth living for you? Imagine that was gone. Imagine you wracked your brain for weeks, months, years on that simple question and still could not figure out why you even wake up every morning. What then? Why keep going? Hope? Spite? Self Pity? Love? Lust? Why?

Why does one care to know what it's like to hit rock bottom? Because "Terrence, This is Stupid Stuff."

4 Comments:

  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger Chaka said…

    Good post. Although for me, the ability of (some) Christian music to evoke empathy matches or exceeds that of your hate-filled rock.

    "Why should I gain from his reward?
    I cannot give an answer.
    But this I know with all my heart:
    His wounds have paid my ransom."

    "Terence, this is stupid stuff" is one of my all time favorite titles--it ranks right up there with "The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven."

     
  • At 5:27 PM, Blogger PopStar said…

    only the losers win

     
  • At 8:44 PM, Blogger Chaka said…

    they've got nothing to prove

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger Pirate Jimmy said…

    Or everything to prove.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home